Company Name: New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Foundation
Required Travel: 0-10%
Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
Min Experience: 3-5 Years
Job Function: Curator
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary: $40,000.00 - $50,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
- The Curator manages every aspect of the museum collections from initial donor inquiries to curating exhibitions.
- Responsible for documenting and managing the collection in PastPerfect.
- Handle image use, loan and research requests
- Responsible for all collections-related tasks pertaining to the NJVVMF’s annex expansion project including designing the collections storage space and managing the collections move
- Develop annual budgets for collections care and exhibitions
- Manage Huntington Block insurance policy
- Document Foundation restoration projects and oral histories from relevant community members
- The Curator supports the fundraising work of other staff members and takes the lead on collections-related grant applications and project management.
- The Curator works with the Museum Educator to develop, support and implement programs for students, educators and the general public.
- Manage the Foundation’s Memorial-based Biography Project
- Recruit and manage interns for collection-related projects
- Manage technology for the Foundation
- Work with our IT and Web consultants to manage all technology projects
- Work with relevant consultants on museum software, computer and theater system maintenance
- Manage minor website edits on the Foundation’s WordPress-based site
- Manage technology upgrades including app development
- PR and Marketing Management
- Manage all PR and marketing related work with MarketingRival, our consultants
- Work with the rest of the staff to help brainstorm ideas for upcoming newsletters and when appropriate, draft content.
- Proofread and approve on behalf of the staff, all PR and marketing documents including newsletters, social media graphics, brochures, Constant Contact email templates and flyers.
- Work with staff on these and other functions as needed.
About the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Foundation
The New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Foundation (NJVVMF), located in Holmdel, NJ, is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to “offer a meaningful and engaging experience that recognizes the sacrifices, courage and valor of Vietnam Veterans and that encourages and fosters a thorough understanding of the Vietnam Era, including the political, historical, social, cultural and military aspects which affected the United States, and especially New Jersey.” The NJVVMF operates the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial and the Vietnam Era Museum & Educational Center, the first and only of museum of its kind in the country.
The Foundation has a small but dynamic staff. We are committed to offering innovative and relevant programs and services, based in sound scholarship and relevant community needs. The collections, resources, programs and services offered provide important and unduplicated historical resources. Dedicated to encouraging an understanding of the Vietnam Era and its lasting impact on American culture at the local level, our programs and services include guided tours, lectures and public programs, ceremonies, educational programs and unique historical collections. The majority of our programs and services involve collaborations with local individuals and organizations.
The Museum’s collection of nearly 5,000 items is composed of library resources, archival images and documents, and artifacts. These collections are unique resources related to New Jersey’s more recent history. While many of the archival and museum collections in the state focus on much older history, we collect historical resources related to the entire Vietnam Era, not just the War. Our collections offer multiple perspectives on the Era’s events.
The library collection consists of books, audio-visual materials and periodicals. The archival collection consists of documents including Vietnam Era photographs, pamphlets, personal letters and other related materials. It also includes organizational materials related to the inception, creation, building, and continual programming at the NJVVMF. Another facet of the archival collection relates to the 1,563 New Jersey residents who made the ultimate sacrifice during the Vietnam War and are honored on our Memorial. We continually collect information and materials related to each individual to enhance our biographical profile for use in our programming and on our website. The museum collection is a crossover collection. It consists of artifacts that have been left at the Memorial, many can be associated with one of the names on our Memorial, or have been donated to the collection, often by Vietnam Veterans.
Skills and Qualifications
We seek a candidate with a background in collections management and curatorial experience working in a professional museum environment. Candidates with at least three to five years of demonstrable experience are preferred. Qualified applicants will hold a minimum of a B.A., M.A. preferred in Museum Studies, Public, or Applied History with demonstrable experience in the responsibilities of this position. Educational background in military history, the history of the Vietnam Era and American History through the present is highly desired.
Experience working with artifacts and knowledge of museum best practices is required. Working knowledge of PastPerfect is preferred, but other collections software management is acceptable. Expertise in technology (website-based and computer) and applications of technology in a museum setting is required. Proficient skills in Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and WordPress are highly desirable. Experience with oral history projects, museum interpretation and program development is preferred. Grant-related experience with demonstrable success is also preferred.
Must be an effective communicator able to work well alone or in a team setting. Exceptional organizational and project management skills are required. Must be an exceptional multi-tasker who is detail-oriented. Qualified candidates will bring creativity, flexibility and passion to this position. Must be comfortable working with a diverse community and making public presentations.
This is a permanent, full time position. The Curator reports to the Executive Director. Salary range is $40,000 to $50,000 based on experience and qualifications. The position carries a full benefits package including retirement, paid time off and employer supported health and dental insurance.
Send cover letter, resume and two writing samples (an example of exhibition text and a sample that best reflects your writing style) to email@example.com
New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Foundation
1 Memorial Lane, Holmdel, NJ 07733
Contact Person: Sarah Taggart
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Post ID: 35487503 newjersey